7.11.11

The Monday Monacle: Autumn Artistry

Sometimes I just really miss art school. Seriously. Three times a week you got to sit in a dark room - usually after a five hour studio - and view masterpiece after masterpiece on a large screen. Ahh...those were the days. Well, I'm bringing art history back! Or at least some of the experience I got to have. (I won't make you memorize dates) Today it's an autumnal theme. Some more literal than others. I hope you like some of the paintings I've chosen...I know there is a ton of great work out there and I'm only capturing a smidgen, so let me know, who did I miss?
 Autumn Leaves, John Everett Millais, 1856

Boatman of Mortefontaine by Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot.

 
 Stapleton Park near Pontefract, John Atkinson Grimshaw

A Golden Beam, John Atkinson Grimshaw
This one is by Pollock, titled Autumnal Rhythmn, but Blue Poles below really captures autumn for me.


And there's no one like Rothko to create a mood:

an early Van Gogh - Autumn Landscape with Four Trees, 1885
It was after this painting that Vincent wrote a letter to his brother Theo saying: Well, never before was I so convinced that I shall make things that do well, that I shall succeed in calculating my colors, so that I have it in my power to make the right effect." Also, attention late bloomers: Van Gogh started painting in his 40's, so...you know, it's okay if your a little slow coming off the blocks.
 Fractus, Bert John, 2010 (hanging behind the register)

And finally, a favorite artist of mine Andrew Wyeth:
Autumn

Enjoy your Autumn Days!

xo,
lauren de rosa

No comments: