19.1.15

Get to Know: Meredith Anne Sutton

One of the things we love the most about being located in Savannah is all of the amazing local artists, especially because that means we get to fill our shelves with their beautiful hand-made products. And although we don't like to play favorites, we are especially enchanted by the work of local jewelry designer, Meredith Anne Sutton. "Her style uniquely balances industrial & feminine influences & reflects her enamoring of found objects, including vintage pieces, architectural finds & hardware procured from old furniture. Sutton’s work is highly romantic & takes inspiration from literature & poetry, as well as structural relics. With an aesthetic that is at once clean, ornate & bold, Sutton works with mediums of sterling silver, 18k gold, bronze, & acrylic to present pieces apropos for the most discerning & mature woman to the chic young trendsetter." So naturally, you can see why she fits right in here at The Paris Market. We recently had the chance to visit Meredith in her studio & find out a little bit more about her process as a jewelry designer. Keep reading below to get to know Meredith Anne Sutton!


Working at her desk
Look familiar? ;)
How did you get your start as a jewelry designer?
When I began my studies at SCAD, my focus was Graphic Design. During my sophomore year, I was at a friend’s house who was majoring in Metals & Jewelry. I will have to say, I owe it to her because if I hadn’t seen all the cool things she was making, I wouldn’t have been inspired to use one of my electives for an Intro to Jewelry class. Two weeks into the course, I switched my major. From then on, I knew I would be a jewelry designer. 

What is your favorite medium to work with? 
Pretty much any kind of metal, but recently I have really enjoyed working with brass. It makes a great price point for my work & I love the contrast I can create with patina. 

In addition to working as a jewelry designer, you also work at Service Brewing Co. Can you tell us a little more about what you do there?
I am the creative marketing director. I handle all the creative direction for the company’s identity. I work with our graphic designer, writer & illustrator for our labels, merchandise, & other media outlets. I also designed the tasting room & curated the Tap Handle Project, a collection of 22 tap handles all created by artists.  

Piecing together a cuff 
Soldering
Filing the edges of a completed cuff
What is your favorite part about what you do in both of your professional roles? 
Being creative, working with other artists/designers & passing on a product that makes people happy. I mean, jewelry and beer… it doesn’t get any better than that. 

What do you see as the biggest challenge of being a working artist & what are some ways you try to overcome it?  
Finding the time to do everything. I think every artist’s biggest challenge is time. I am constantly making lists, establishing daily deadlines, & have learned to bring in help during the holidays. I have had many sleepless nights just to make sure I meet those deadlines. 

What are your main sources of inspiration, particularly when starting a new jewelry piece?
Lately, it’s been the material. I think that is where it all starts. Whether it’s the metal or a found object, the idea takes shape as I create the piece. 

Studio details
From behind the artist's desk

No comments: