5.2.15

Pick of the Week: Baby Bears


With Valentine's Day just around the corner, we couldn't help but fall in love with our newest cuddly friends, Baby Bears. Mama Bear, Ellen George, was inspired by the birth of her own baby bear & a desire to create her son unique, handmade pieces. And thankfully, she decided to share her adorable design with the rest of us! Baby Bear was originally conceived as your typical cuddly teddy bear (we had a few in stock back in December, if you remember), but as demand for her bears has increased, Ellen needed to come up with a more concise & timely manner in which to make them. Thus the new screen-printed Baby Bears came to be! 


We recently had a little chat with Ellen about the process of making her Baby Bears & she shared some insight into the process: "I loved sewing [the original version of the] bears, but there were over twenty pieces to the pattern, & they would take me at least four hours to make from start to finish. While considering some new ideas, I remembered a screen-printing kit my husband had given me as a gift five years ago, which I had never used (& which he always reminded me about). So, I took the three-dimensional version of the teddy bear, & painted it into a two-dimensional image. From there, I created my first silk screen. Even though I was creating something simpler, I still wanted it to have the dimension & personality that comes with a hand-made product. The applique heart added the dimension I was looking for. I love the contrast between the flat image of the bear and the fuzzy applique heart."


Bottom line, we absolutely adore these Baby Bears & think they would make the perfect, one-a-of-kind gift for Valentine's Day! They are made with 100% cotton, hand printed with non-toxic water-based ink, & stuffed with premium non-allergenic polyester fiberfill. They also come in 9 different backing patterns for you to choose from! You definitely want to be sure to stop by the store soon to check out these cuddly friends before they're all gone!! 

No comments: