17.7.13

Postcards from Paris: { la tour de france }



 


 


These summer days in Paris, I wake up thinking about which park to lay in all afternoon.
With a book in hand and a dejeuner emporter, our days pass effortlessly.
I had a hankering towards Le Jardin du Luxembourg, it’s a favourite amongst children. There are ice cream stands lining all of the entrances, an old charming carrousel where children try and tug on the little metal ring each time they go around, beautiful toy wooden boats that sail across the fountain, and afternoon Guignol performances every day.
An addition to a Paris outing is that there is always a surprise exhibition of sorts. I happened to run into two during my afternoon at the Luxembourg Gardens. The first was a full orchestra concert; middle-aged men in their brass-buttoned uniforms playing their brass instruments. The conductor with his pencil thin conducting stick directed his musicians proudly as a full audience sat shaded under the chestnut trees. The second surprise was a bit more settle, but invigorating visually.
As I was leaving the park, content and satisfied with the small collection of visual and audible souvenirs, I noticed along the park’s gate were photos of Le Tour de France; beautiful images highlighting significant moments since the race began in 1903.
The race will finish along Le Champs Elysées. The French flags are still decorating the avenue from Bastille Day. There are bleachers set-up to watch the finish. Since I am leaving to spend the rest of the summer stateside, the Luxembourg Garden’s exterior exhibition felt like a little participation on my part. I’m rooting for the French!

Bisous,
Reba

No comments: