11.12.13

Postcards from Paris: { ...au Jeu de Paume }






One afternoon last week as I was walking along boulevard saint Germain des Pres, waiting for a certain hour to pass. I was in search for an interesting distraction because even though the sun was shining I was too focused on the numbness of my fingers and the smokey vapor of my breath. I walk into a charming bookstore, quite frankly in this neighborhood it's difficult to not find a charming bookstore, but this particular one caught my attention because there was an illustration by Erwin Blumenfeld in the window. Skewed face and interesting colors, I was drawn in and captured by a series of drawings and portraits by the German-born American-Vogue photographer. I noticed that the book was an extended glance from the current exhibition at Le Jeu de Paume.
Le jeu de paume is top. The exhibits are always fascinating, modern, and revealing. Which inspired a visit, and another interesting distraction. 
Blumenfeld is most recognised for his often surrealist-inspired fashion photography. He shot many covers for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar between the 1940's and 1950's. Along with fashion photography, he also produced a large collection of drawings and Dada-esque collages.
It was so interesting to be amongst such a varied body of work. From simple ink drawings to clean, modern portraits of celebrities from the era. Erwin Blumenfeld seemed like he stayed forever true to himself, while still able to impress and inspire the French, wink.

Bisous,
Reba

No comments: