5.2.10

Postcards from Paris: {Learning French through Amelie}

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain: It's one of those movies that never gets tiresome.It was my go-to movie when times were low. Though times in the present are not what I would consider low in any means, Amelie has been a different type of go-to movie, rather a French language institute. One which has been helping me climb through, under, and around this language barrier. After being told that my favorite french tutor would be retuning back to L.A., I have been on the lookout for a new means of knowledge. Being conscientious of money, this free form of a French tutorial has me cuddled up in bed, laptop and headphones, with a cup of peppermint tea and practicing aloud the sound differences of "Je" and "J'ai". I have been watching a couple of chapters a night, with my fingers crossed, and my French dictionary opened and resting on my head in hopes for some form of linguistic osmosis. And what a delight learning French is becoming. Some days the langauge barrier seems but a mere step, like the small gap between the concrete and the metro train, and of course I have those days when the barrier is like a climb up to the Sacre Coeur. Being the optimist I am trying to be, at the top of those steps is, after all, the best view of Paris.

Bisous,
Reba

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

your amazing. And I really thought you were a French person when you called last week. No accent at all.

Kirsten Sparenborg Brinton said...

Can you guess which movie I watched as soon as I came home - via 5 flights and 52 hours of travel - from India? Yep - Amelie. Always my favorite comfort.
(I miss you!)

em_leanne said...

what a magically man!
and have you seen a very long engagement by the same director?