13.6.11

Postcards from Paris: {Aquarium de Paris}



 Before I title myself as a pessimist, I should give the disclaimer that I've gone to the Atlanta Aquarium on more than one occasion, and whale-sharks named after The Honeymooners is a difficult act to compete against, even if there is a movie theatre and a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower greeting you as you exit. I will say that any peak at life forms living under water is an unceasing curiosity. It is quite amazing the difference in appearance that those living underwater all their lives have compared to us creatures on dry-land. I must say they all take rather flattering profile shots.
William Beebe, an American marine biologist, said, "I can only think of one experience which might exceed in interest a few hours spent under water, and that would be a journey to Mars."
Even simple notions of the sea, like shells, become sentimental reminders of our explorations. At my parents' home there is still a necklace of small strung shells that I spent one summer making after a memorable trip to an island off South Carolina. In that very necklace I am reminded of my explorations I had with my brothers; catching starfish and sand-dollars, the differences in the size of the waves and temperatures depending on low-tide and high-tide, jelly-fish stings, and dolphins in the distance. 
At the Shop, we always get the most interesting packages of sealife. The smell that fills the store while the shells are being unwrapped is debatable. One can make the point that the scent of fish is hardly a scent that sells, but sometimes the simple smell of sea-water is all that resonates, which surfaces the deep-sea memories of Summer. As a little reminder of what Paris Market has to offer, click here.
Bisous,

No comments: