14.6.11

Postcards from Paris: {Un coup d'œil au cinéma: Midnight in Paris}



Many of Woody Allen's films define specific memories, mainly ones from my college days in Savannah. For instance, Hannah and Her Sisters will always remind me of one specific Thanksgiving holiday where two dear friends and myself checked out a stack full of DVDs from the Savannah Public Library, one of the DVDs was Hannah and Her Sisters. We made homemade pizza, and hot cocoa. Whenever I rewatch that film, or even think about it, I instantly think of the small memories that made up that day. The list of memories goes on along with the list of Woody Allen films, more so his earlier ones circa Diane Keaton or Mia Farrow, opposed to circa Scarlett Johansson. In fact, for me at least, his newer ones, though not terrible, lacked an emotional tie-in. That is until his recent release, Midnight in Paris, which seemed to capture the charm and wit of his earlier work.
I left the theatre loving Paris even more.
I was really sold in the beginning while Sidney Bechet's "Petite Fleur" played as scenes from the city seem to captivate even the Parisians surrounding me.
Bisous,

No comments: